There’s a reason Data Scientist was again voted Hottest Job in 2017 – these analytical people are in great demand by high-profile companies, smaller organizations and everyone in between. Across every industry and around the globe, professionals who understand data and how to apply it in meaningful ways are making a big impact. If you’re not sure what a data scientist does, or if it’s the right profession for you, check out a few of the interesting options out there right now.
Pinterest – Data Scientist
Help connect Pinners to actionable content! As a Data Scientist at Pinterest, you will apply quantitative analysis, modeling and data mining to improve the relevance of Pins across Ads, Search and products. You will perform deep dive analysis to understand and optimize the key levers of ads and design core metrics that guide product development.
- 2+ years of work experience applying scientific methods to solve real world problems on web scale data
- Expertise in at least one scripting language and proficiency in SQL/Hive
National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) – Data Analyst
Part of the federal government, the NGA supports missions for National Intelligence, National Security, Military Operations, Military Planning, and Disaster Relief and Preparedness for the Department of Defense, the Intelligence Community, and senior US and foreign government officials up to and including The United States Congress and the President of the United States. As a Data Analyst, you will use moderately complex tools and algorithms to identify trends and pattern in the data to help find solutions to the Agency’s (and our country’s) most challenging problems.
- Education in applied math, computer science, data science, geographic information science, informatics and computing, statistics or a related discipline
DigitalFish – Software Engineer, Machine Learning
A developer of new techniques for digital media and computer animation, DigitalFish is looking for someone who can implement classifiers for semantic labeling and scene understanding as well as re-construct scenes from sensor input. This person will work at the Facebook office to start and interact with several project partners including Google ATAP, LEGO, NASA, Pixar and DreamWorks.
- BS/BA in Computer Science or related engineering field
- 3-5 years of experience engineering in Python/C++
- Experience with deep-learning frameworks such as TensorFlow, Torch, Caffe, a good understanding of 3D fundamentals and familiarity with the Agile/Scrum development process
Amazon – Data Engineer
This opportunity allows you to play a key role in building Amazon’s industry-leading Customer Information Analytics Platform. The Data Engineer will design, develop, implement, test, document and operate large-scale, high-volume, high-performance data structures for business intelligence analytics and deep learning while using data modeling best practices.
- 2+ years of work experience with detailed knowledge of data warehouse technical architectures, infrastructure components, ETL/ELT and reporting/analytics tools
- Demonstrated strength in architecting data warehouse solutions and integrating technical components
Google – Data Scientist
As a Data Scientist for Google, you will work closely with clients to produce innovative and actionable quantitative models and analysis to address the challenges of marketing effectiveness and prediction. You will also lead analytical aspects of client engagements, align Google Analytics 360 suite attribution and solutions to solve client issues, and build a machine learning framework.
- Master’s degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Engineering or equivalent practical experience
- Experience in quantitative analytics
- Experience in Python and/or R and SQL and Big Data
There are many others out there of course, you just have to know where to find them. Along with the more common job board on Linkedin or lists of developer jobs on Stackoverflow, you can join other data lovers at Kaggle.com. There you’ll find job postings for data scientists, statisticians, and machine learning engineers and you can talk with other data scientists or join a competition. Woz U will also help you – we provide free comprehensive career services to all of our graduates. If this type of work sounds interesting to you, check out our new Data Science program.