No matter if you are the president of an AZ tech company or a career-changing job-seeker, we are all looking for the same thing; to find the people who will support us in our missions and join forces to create something bigger than the sum of its parts. However, since there are a quarter million open programming jobs in the U.S. that are continually unfilled, there is clearly a disconnect between the roles needed in tech companies and skilled candidates to fill them. Bridging that gap was the focus of the panel event on May 15th, 2018. And who better to host this skills-gap discussion in the innovation industry than Tesla?
Woz U president, Chris Coleman, sat alongside AZ tech titans, Vivek Dwivedi, VP of Financial Cloud Services at Infosys and Dave Lesser of Scientific Technology Corporation (STC) at the Tesla Motors in Kierland Commons Scottsdale, Arizona to tackle the toughest challenges for employers and educators facing the AZ tech workforce today.
Check out our Facebook live and see the highlights in the notes below.
Don’t miss these highlights:
- How 20 attendees won an overnight experience with a Tesla (2:00)
- Panelist answers to the biggest barriers to the growth of AZ tech talent and innovation (5:27)
- Chris Coleman of Woz U on how AZ differentiates itself from Silicon Valley and other tech hubs (8:00)
- Panelist answers to the question: “What innovative ways have you seen most effective in attracting new talent and training them to ensure they keep your company competitive?” (14:40)
- The importance of having transparency with your employees (17:00)
- Dave Lesser on having a culture that allows your team to fail (20:00)
- Leadership’s job in an organization (23:00)
- How important training is within an organization (24:30)
- Incentives to retain great employees (28:25)
- Working with government in AZ to make it a better place for technology brands (29:00)
“Let’s start calling AZ a tech destination.” – Chris Coleman @thewozu – click to tweet
“We are really bullish about establishing a base in AZ.” – Vivek Dwivedi @infosys – click to tweet
“Hire the right folks and get out of their way.” – Dave Lesser @stc_health – click to tweet
“Support your community and your local companies!” – Chris Coleman @thewozu – click to tweet
Thanks to the sponsors: Tesla Motors of Kierland Commons, Newbridge Technology Solutions, TBConsulting and Point 61!
Who do you know that is looking to bridge the skills gap in the technology sector? Share this post with them and your favorite quote from the panel!