Technology is a powerful force right now. There are a reported 5.1 billion active users on the internet, and over 90% of Americans have internet access. In total, technology makes up 35% of the world market. As technology continues to advance and grow, you might be interested in switching to a career in tech. While changing careers can be scary, it is important to know that there are many different pathways you can take to pursue a career in technology. Whether you are a graduating senior in high school or have been in your industry for 20 years, here are some options to get you on track to pursue a tech career!
Benefits of a Career in Tech
1. Opportunity to work remotely – Some tech companies and careers offer the opportunity to work remotely, meaning you may not necessarily need to live in the same area as the company you work for. This is beneficial because it may open the range of opportunities past your commutable range and can allow you to work from the comfort of your home.
2. Location – If you would rather work from an office, there is good news. Many tech giants are moving their offices to different cities (Amazon, for example, has new offices in Arlington, VA, and Nashville, TN) which presents candidates with expanded location opportunities, whether that means relocating for work or taking advantage of technology careers that are in your area.
3. Industry advancement – The tech industry is not going anywhere, and technology advances quickly. As the industry advances, so do opportunities for everyone working within the sector. Entering the industry now can pay off in the future.
4. Creative options – Careers such as software development and mobile application development may allow you to use your creativity in designing and building software. But don’t worry, if you would instead work on the technical side, you can pursue a career in data science or cyber security to work more with analytics!
5. Flexibility – A more flexible schedule may come with a tech career. You may have the option to do freelance work and work entirely on your schedule, or work for a company that does not restrict you to a typical 9 AM5 PMM schedule. Of course, this is not accurate for every company, but it is more likely in this career than in others.
Careers in Tech
Before you start training for a tech career, you should decide what type of career you would like to pursue. Here are some options:
7. Cyber Security – 84% of businesses say that cyber security is a top priority in 2022. The primary role of cyber security specialists is to keep their company’s information safe. This responsibility ranges from analyzing a company and making security recommendations to responding to new security threats. You can pursue a career as a cyber security analyst by completing a cyber security degree or completing different certifications such as the Security+ CompTIA certification or the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP).
8. Mobile Application Developer – Mobile application developers design and develop applications to be used on mobile devices. This is a great career to pursue someone who has a passion for creativity along with technology. Learning programming languages such as C and Swift, iOS development, and Agile development are all skills that will help in training for your new career.
9. Data Science – Data scientists use machine learning to analyze data and predict future data. Because machine learning is evolving, so is the role of the data scientist. If analytical processes such as making data sets, identifying issues in data analytics, and all things large data interest you, a future in data science might be a desirable choice. To be a data scientist, you should know programming languages like R, Python, and SLQ, as well as be familiar with data mining techniques.
Pathways to Tech
Now that you know some of the benefits of a career in tech and a few careers in tech you may pursue, let us look at the pathways you can take to pursue your career:
10. Training program – From two-year and four-year degrees to boot camps and certified programs, there are many options for training programs for you to choose from. Different careers require various levels of training, so it is important to spend some time finding a training program that works with your schedule and the level of training necessary. Woz U partner institutions offer training programs in different areas in tech that train on the skills needed to pursue a career in tech.
11. Apprenticeship – Apprenticeships are a great way to get training and learn while you earn. As apprenticeships become a more popular way to find talent in the tech industry, more apprenticeship opportunities arise for specific tech jobs. Apprentice Now serves to bridge the gap between those who need skilled workers and those who want skilled work by offering pre-apprenticeship training and apprenticeship opportunities for candidates who want to pursue a career in tech. This option is great for someone who wants to learn tech skills and gain real-world experience at the same time.
Do I Need a Background in Tech to Switch Careers?
The short answer: no! It is becoming more common for tech companies to accept applicants who do not have a degree in technology for an entry-level position. This opens the opportunity for many people searching for a new career to enter the tech industry. Whether you are a graduating high school senior looking to start a career, or an adult looking to change careers, you do not necessarily have to go to a four-year college or have an existing background in the tech industry to do so. However, you do need to show the company that you have the adequate tech skills to perform well in an entry-level position, which is where a training program or apprenticeship may help you.
Whether you are a young adult looking to start a career or have been working within your industry for years, it is never too late to make the switch to a career in tech. Woz U Partners offer training and support wherever you are in your tech journey. Learn more about the steps you can take to start a training program in tech here.