The tech industry is always evolving, or it at least feels that way. As the new year is underway, projections can be made about tech jobs in 2022. In this article, we will discuss:
- Popular tech careers in 2022
- How to find the tech career for you
- Training for your tech career
Tech careers in 2022
If you’re looking to enter the tech industry, it might seem intimidating. There are several sectors in search of talent and many different paths you can take. Tech is also always evolving, meaning different jobs become popular. In 2022, some tech careers anticipated to be popular are:
- Data Scientist – Data scientist might seem like a broad term if you’ve never heard it before. Data scientists use machine learning to analyze data and predict future data. This role is invaluable to many tech companies. Because machine learning is developing, so is the role of the data scientist. If things like making data sets, identifying issues in data analytics, and all things large data interest you, a future in data science might be a good choice. In order to be a data scientist, you must know programming languages like R, Python, and SLQ, as well as being familiar with data mining techniques.
- Product Manager – A product manager oversees the making of a product from start to finish. They oversee staff and keep the workflow going to make sure a project is complete. Companies might look for familiarity with tools such as PivotalTracker or Jira, along with management experience and organizational skills. While this career isn’t as easy to jump into if you have no prior experience, you may be able to pivot from a current management position to become a product manager.
- Cybersecurity Specialist – Every company who exists online needs protection from hackers. The more company data that exists online, the more valuable it is to have someone to protect unwanted visitors from stealing information. That is the primary role of cyber security specialists – keeping a company’s information safe. This ranges from analyzing a company and making security recommendations to responding to new security threats. You can become a cyber security analyst by completing a cyber security degree or completing different certifications such as the Security+ CompTIA certification or the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP).
- Cloud Architect – As more and more companies move many of their practices to the cloud, positions like Cloud Architects are becoming more popular. Cloud Architects manage everything relating to a company’s cloud services, from adapting to the cloud to running and monitoring the cloud. Being a cloud architect requires knowledge of programming languages such as Python, Ruby, and Elixir.
- Mobile App Developer – Mobile devices become more and more capable each day, and become even more of a tool for companies to use for communication and other work duties. Mobile application developers are needed constantly, and could be a lucrative career choice for someone creative and passionate about software development. Learning programming languages such as C and Swift, along with iOS development and Agile development are all skills that will help in training for your new career.
How to choose and train for a tech career
Changing careers is scary, regardless of what the switch might be. Maybe you work in the tech industry and are looking to shift what you specialize in, or maybe you’ve never coded before but want to break into a tech career. Here are some tips to successfully transition to a tech career:
- Choose something that interests you – Even if you don’t choose the specific career path you would like to follow at the beginning, explore what parts of the tech industry interest you. Finding something that excites you will make training for the job, and your ultimate job satisfaction, much higher.
- Look into what programming languages you should learn – After you choose a section of the tech industry that interests you, you should do some research as to what programming languages you need to learn to do the job effectively. Having some knowledge on what the industry standard is will help you when you’re looking into training programs.
- Training programs – There are tons of training programs out there. From two-year and four-year degrees, bootcamps, and certified programs, there are many options for you to choose from. Different careers require different levels of training, so it’s important to spend some time finding a training program that works with your schedule and level of training necessary.
- Apprenticeships – Did you know you can enter the tech industry by working in an apprenticeship? WOZ U offers a federally recognized apprenticeship program that matches talent with employers. This option is great for someone who wants to learn and gain real world experience at the same time.
- The job search – After all of these steps (unless you choose the apprenticeship route) comes the finish line: finding a job. While many companies have a tech talent shortage and are searching actively for talent, there are still some things you can do to attract a company you would fit in with. Creating a LinkedIn profile and network will be invaluable in the job search. LinkedIn is a great way for potential employers to get a feel for your goals and desires, and a great way for you to connect with people in the industry.
WOZ U offers hands-on training to create full-stack web applications using front-end, back-end, and database development. In addition to the training program, eligible candidates can apply for the Woz Registered Apprenticeship Program and train for a career in software development while working within different apprenticeship opportunities. To learn more about training for software developer skills with WOZ U and one of our partners, click here.