Technology has enhanced effectiveness and efficiency in the provision of services and the delivery of products. It has increased competition and the need for businesses to improve their products and the services they offer. For the sole purpose of continuous improvement of products and services, the tech industry has developed a methodology that uses short development cycles referred to as sprints. This methodology is referred to as agile project management.
Agile project management is characterized by the following traits which make it useful in the assessment and continuity of product and service improvement:
Agile Development Releases and Fixed-Length Iterations
Agile project management has two delivery units: releases and iterations. Every release consists of several iterations which act as a micro-project of its own. It can conduct the assessment of features, defects, enhancement, and requests for proper organization.
Agile Delivers Working and Tested Features as the Measure for Progress
The primary function of agile development is enabling and improving teamwork, providing client feedback, and enhanced project visibility. This methodology shows proof of the correlation between the system and that the project is on track.
Driven Towards Value Development
Agile development focuses on the delivery of business value which is measured by running and tested software. The team is required to track every iteration continuously and the number of tested features delivered regularly.
What are the 12 Principles of Agile Project Management?
For agile project management to function at optimum levels, it must adhere to a set of principles that guide its functioning. There are 12 Principles of Agile Project Management that drive it. These Principles are:
- Above all, the methodology is aimed at client satisfaction by maintaining rapid and ongoing delivery.
- It assesses environmental changes so that the customer has a competitive advantage at every stage.
- It guarantees a high frequency in the delivery of services and products.
- Interaction of stakeholders and developers increases daily.
- It caters to the provision of tools and adequate support that motivates team members and stakeholders to accomplish project objectives.
- The methodology calls for face to face meetings geared towards project success.
- The finality of the product is the measure of success.
- Maintaining a constant pace in development is achieved through agile processes.
- Dexterity is improved through a continuous focus on technical excellence and proper design.
- The development should maintain simplicity.
- To adequately meet set requirements, self-organizing teams are the best for the development of designs.
- Fine-tuning at intervals should be done regularly by teams to improve efficiency.
For agile to work correctly, it should help the developers, project teams, and customer goals. It adopts a robust framework for implementing agile processes in software development and other projects called Scrum. The framework utilizes iterations of work, called scrums to help deal with discrete portions of a project in succession until completion.
Learn More About Agile Project Management
Agile project management is an iterative approach to delivering a project throughout its life cycle. As you begin your career in software development, you’ll need to be aware of all project management styles.
Powered by Woz U software development training is available to you at home or anywhere with an Internet connection from many of our higher education partners, and includes a course on agile project management.