As a software developer, you will need to take online software development training courses. You may take them as part of your training to become a developer, or you may take them to stay current on development trends.
Being a software developer means being a life-long learner because technology is always changing.
Software developers are divided into applications or systems developers. Although both areas require the same basic set of skills, there are differences based upon their specific field of expertise.
- Applications Developers. These programmers design software such as accounting applications, games, or word processing programs. These applications include commercial software intended for the general public or custom applications for specific customers.
- Systems Developers. These individuals create underlying software programs that keep computers running. These programs may be commercial programs such as operating systems or file management systems. They may also include customized systems created for a specific organization or industry.
The type of online software development training needed depends on the type of developer. So, let’s take a look at what some of those training courses might be.
What do Software Developers do?
Software developers participate in every step of a software program’s lifecycle, so they need to understand what is required at each step along the way.
Before starting a project, a developer identifies what the end user’s needs are.
From that starting point, the skills of a software developer should include:
- Designs the application or system
- Details how the software will interface with new and existing components
- Identifies user requirements
- Creates models, flowcharts or other tools that show what software code may be needed
- Ensures proper functioning of code during testing before release
- Documents the application or system for maintenance, upgrades or updates
- Works with others to develop the best software
- Writes code
Developers work with other developers and programmers. Some developers may lead a development project while others may write code as well.
When looking at online software development training courses, be sure to consider classes in project management and documentation as well as the more technical areas. Also, keep in mind that you don’t need a four-year degree for software development.
What Training do Developers Need?
When it comes to training, software development has more math requirements than other computer specialties. For systems developers, knowledge of operating systems, network configurations, or hardware components is essential.
Software development languages such as C, C++, or Java are also necessary given the type of projects that developers work on. Online software development training courses may include:
- Data structures
- Object-oriented programming
- Operating systems
- Computer architecture
In addition to these technical skills, software developers need to be able to do the following:
- Analyze. Software developers have to analyze user-requirements to identify what functionality is required.
- Communicate. Professionals have to translate requirements into clear instructions for other project members while explaining technical aspects of the project to the end-users.
- Concentrate. Successful programmers are detailed oriented. A single error in a line of code can result in a program failing to compile.
- Solve Problems. Unexpected behaviors of software programs require people with problem-solving skills who can find solutions to these unforeseen problems that can appear throughout the development process.
Would-be developers may want to consider taking online training courses in some of these skill areas to increase their versatility.
How to Become a Developer
Becoming a developer depends on the path you take and training you receive. Although many software developers have a bachelor’s degree in computer science, not all developers do. Experience and training play a part in becoming a software developer.
Part of the reason is the broad range of projects that a software developer may participate in. Some skills are best learned through experience.
Developers need a strong background in computer programming languages. Depending on the area of focus, developers may need languages such as C, C++, or C# along with Java or Python.
Online software development training courses in programming languages are something that professionals take to stay up-to-date. New tools and languages are always in development, so it is essential to keep current.
Application developers often work in specific industries such as finance, insurance, or manufacturing.
In industry-specific positions, developers should learn about the computing needs of the company. It is helpful to understand the terminology when trying to establish design requirements.
What Does a Software Developer Make?
According to the U. S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual salary for a systems software developer was around $110,000. For an application software developer, the median salary was $103,000.
If you are wondering if becoming a software developer is worth it, especially if you have to continue to take software development training classes throughout your career – the answer is most likely yes.
The top-paying fields for application software developers are manufacturing and finance.
For systems developers, the top-paying areas are manufacturing, engineering services, and finance.
The overall outlook for software developers from 2018 through 2028 is positive, with a projected growth rate of 21%.
The growth rate for application developers is expected to grow by 26%, but only 10% for systems developers.
The demand for application software developers comes from the increase in computer applications for smartphones and tablets.
Additionally, the healthcare and insurance industries will continue to demand applications that can keep up with the increasing demands for services.
Systems developers are also important for smart devices that populate the Internet of Things (IoT)
The best job prospects are for those who are trained on the most up-to-date tools and who are skilled in one or more programming languages.
If you are considering a career in software development, online software development training courses will help keep you current on programming tools and languages.
How to Select Online Training
There’s no established path to becoming a software developer and there’s also no clear path for career growth.
The best place to start is with a roadmap of the skills you have and the skills you need. Once you have a roadmap, you can start prioritizing the areas for additional study.
With so many online software development training courses, it can be difficult to decide which courses are the best option.
That’s why the software development program powered by Woz-U is the perfect place to start. Contact us today!